Thursday, March 26, 2009

The week will never be over

So after a long week, it is not even close to being over. It is Thursday and a lot of people are going out. I have an essay due on Tuesday and Wednesday. It doesn’t seem that bad but it is my roommates 21st birthday on Monday. This means I have to go out Monday night and therefore should have my paper for Tuesday and Wednesday done by Monday.

Well, we all know that not much gets done on the weekends. As a result I know I have to stay in tonight and at least start one of them. Everyone is telling me that everyone is going out and that I should. I stood my ground and decided to go to the library for a few hours and get some of my paper done. When I came back, I went down the hall to say hi to my friends. 3 out of the 5 roommates were going out when I left for the library and 4 out of the 5 were going out when I got back. I was in the room and Kelly was in sweats. She then says, “I may as well just go out” and in ten minutes she had her spandex on with a cute white top and her black boots. The other roommate, Amanda has a test on Friday, but due to all of the peer pressure, she is going out. She studied for it, but that did not stop her.

The peer pressure faced everyday causes students to make decisions that may not be the right decisions. Although she is out right now having a great time, when tomorrow rolls around…is she going to be fully prepared for her test? If the answer is no, it may result in cheating on the test.

As you know, cheating for some students is not a big deal and they do it all of them time. Getting the answer to one question on a test is only going to lead to getting a whole paper off line for complete plagiarism. Students’ get too comfortable with cheating where it becomes a second nature to them.

It would be easy for me to say I will just buy papers off line so I can go out Thursday, Friday and Saturday night and not do any work. I know that this is not the right answer and would never do such a thing. On the other hand, for a student who is in the same predicament, does not think plagiarism is a big problem, and that they will get away with it, they may do it in two clicks of a button. Off course it seems like the easier thing to do which may get you the same or a better grade, but it is not beneficial to the student who will not be gaining or learning from the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment